A GIGANTIC hairball – measuring four foot in length – has been removed from the stomach of a four-year-old boy in India after he could not stop eating his own locks.
Sivam Kumar was in pain for months before a doctor in New Delhi found the monstrosity and eventually diagnosed him with rare ‘Rupunzel Syndrome’.
Unbeknown to his parents, Sunil Kumar and Munni Devi, their child had been sneakily chomping down on his hair, causing the hair ball to form, which later made him vomit and not be able to eat properly.
He was so malnourished that he could only digest water.
It was only when his stomach became so bloated the couple took action and sought medical help.
When he was finally examined doctors found the four-foot hair ball inside his stomach, which had also spread to his small and large intestines.
His father, Sunil Kumar, 36, said: “He used to cry all the time but he couldn’t explain to us what was wrong. We took him to many doctors but they found nothing.
“When a CT scan eventually revealed a big hairball I was shocked. I just couldn’t believe it.”
“We immediately took a CT scan and that’s when we found a big entangled mass in his abdomen.
“There was very little gas in the abdomen area. The hair had spread in the stomach and travelled into his intestines. When we opened his stomach a 4 ft hairball came out in the exact shape of the stomach.”
Kumar’s family have now shaved their son’s head so he won’t be tempted to eat his hair again.
“I am not leaving Sivam alone for even one minute now,” Munni added. “We have to make sure he doesn’t do this again.”
Source Daily Star